PILLAR: SMART NETWORKS
What we will do and why
CommsConnect aims to address the increased interdependency between electricity networks and mobile networks as communications for control of assets on networks more towards the public mobile networks. The project aims to set up a data sharing solution whereby electricity network operators and mobile network operators can share data on the intercedence of their assets and make decisions on where best to make investments in network resilience
This project is funded through the Strategic Innovation Fund, which works in three phases. If successful for a subsequent phase then the end date and other details will change.
- Sharing of information about communication network performance to ensure the resilience of electricity network control
- Informing mobile networks operators on investment decisions to maximise the resilience of their network
- Resilient communications to operate safely and efficiently
- Reduce critical interdependency of communication and electricity networks
- Increase information exchange between Distributed Network Operator (DNO) and MNO (Mobile Network Operator) systems
Measures of success
- Reduction in network operating costs and CO2 emissions
- Increased resilience of the mobile and electricity networks (CIs/CMLs)
- Progression of the innovation project from SIF Alpha to SIF Beta
Work with the Joint Radio Company (JRC) as well as other electricity network operators, mobile network operators and other bodies providing critical network infrastructure. Through previous discovery activity with stakeholders, we identified that an information barrier is a key obstacle, that will be addressed through information exchange milestones as part of this project.
Public Detailed Docs
- Approval of requirements for shared monitoring system (Jan 2024)
- Establish test network for proving the shared monitoring system (Mar 2024)
- Dissemination event (Apr 2024)
|Date of change
This was added to the DSAP in December 2023 as it was identified as a new strategic digital initiative since our first publication of the action plan in July 2023.