PILLAR: SMART NETWORKS
What we will do and why
Working with GE, PNDC and SSEN to explore the use of control room simulations to improve network resilience. The project will look to leverage existing approaches used in the generation and transmission sectors, applying the unique operational and commercial scenarios applicable to distribution environments.
This project is funded through the Strategic Innovation Fund, which works in three phases. If successful for a subsequent phase then the end date and other details will change.
- Simulator functionality deployed to UKPN and PNDC
- Recommendations for simulator integration options with next generation ANM solutions
- Updated cost benefit analysis
- Reduction in load related reinforcement savings and network operating costs
- Efficient use of flexibility thus reducing over-procurement
- Reduction in generation curtailment and fast connections
Measures of success
- Increase in flexibility used in each substation
- Decrease in required recruitment of FTEs in the control room
- Progression of the innovation project from SIF Alpha to SIF Beta
Engagement with control room systems engineers at SP Energy Networks and SSEN to capture requirements for a simulation environment. Future engagement with System Operators and Network Operators to refine user needs and inform future direction of simulator integration with ANM providers.
Public Detailed Docs
- Simulator and use case deployment at UK Power Networks (Mar 2024)
- Simulator and use case deployment at PNDC (Mar 2024)
- Customer and market analysis for ANM integration (Mar 2024)
|Date of change
This was added to the DSAP in December 2023 as it was identified as a new strategic digital initiative since our first publication of the action plan in July 2023.