PILLAR: SMART NETWORKS
What we will do and why
Explore the costs and benefits of satellite technology as an alternative to LiDAR to demonstrate whether it can accurately measure vegetation proximity to UK Power Networks’ overhead lines.
- Assessment of the viability and benefits of satellite based vegetation scanning technology
- Reduced cost of vegetation scanning
- Improved accuracy in vegetation measurement
- Reduced CO2 emissions
Measures of success
- Spend on vegetation scanning over 2 years
- Reduction in vegetation-related CIs and CMLs
- Avoidance of +200 tonnes CO2 emissions every two years
We are actively working with the supply quality and vegetation management teams to understand challenges and pain points. We have engaged with other network operators to gather learnings from related projects and will share results of our findings on the viability of this technology, and get their input before scaling deployment.
Public Detailed Docs
- Circuit selection and data imagery gathering complete (Dec 2023)
- Pilot analytics and execution complete (Feb 2024)
- Full scale implementation plan complete (Jan 2024)
- Final report (Mar 2024))
|Date of change
This was added to the DSAP in December 2023 as it was identified as a new strategic digital initiative since our first publication of the action plan in July 2023.